Christina Chambers, PhD, MPH
Dr. Chambers is a professor of pediatrics at University of California, San Diego and Director of Clinical Research for the Department of Pediatrics at UCSD and Rady Children's Hospital. She is a perinatal epidemiologist, whose research is focused on environmental exposures and pregnancy and child health outcomes, including birth defects. She co-directs the Center for the Promotion of Maternal Health and Infant Development in the Department of Pediatrics at UCSD and is the Program Director of MotherToBabyCalifornia - a telephone-based service providing individualized risk assessments for pregnant women and their providers in the State of California. She is a founding principal investigator for the Vaccines and Medications in Pregnancy Surveillance System (VAMPSS) which is the first national system to evaluate medication and vaccine safety in human pregnancy, currently funded by the US DHHS, CDC, FDA and the National Vaccine Program Office. She headed the National Children's Study San Diego site, and has conducted extensive research on improved diagnosis, prevention and treatment for Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders.
Dr. Chambers’ currently funded research activities include a set of North American cohort studies evaluating the impact of autoimmune diseases and the medications used to treat them on pregnancy outcomes, a California Native American Research Center project testing the effectiveness of a web-based vs. a peer health educator model for preventing risky alcohol consumption in women of childbearing age, a comparative effectiveness study of asthma medications in pregnancy, a North American-wide fetal safety study of influenza vaccine and antiviral drugs used in pregnancy, and a study to establish the prevalence of Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders for the first time in the U.S. Her international clinical research projects are focused on addressing medication and vaccine safety in pregnancy as well as Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders, and involve studies focused on prevention and intervention in Ukraine, Russia, South Africa, with collaborations in Australia and Poland.
9500 Gilman Dr. #0828
La Jolla, CA, CA 92093-0828
Phone: (858) 246-1704
- Chambers, C.D., Johnson, K.A., Dick, L.M., Felix, R.J., Jones, K.L. Birth Outcomes in Pregnant Women Taking Fluoxetine. New England Journal of Medicine 1996;335:1010-1015.
- Chambers, C.D., Hughes, S., Meltzer, S.B., Wahlgren, D., Kassem, N., Larson, S., Riley, E.P., Hovell, M.F. Alcohol Consumption among Low-Income Pregnant Latinas. Alcoholism Clinical and Experimental Research 2005;29(11):2022-8.
- Chambers, C.D., Hernandez-Diaz, S., Van Marter, L.J., Werler, M.M., Louik, C., Jones, K.L., Mitchell, A.A. Selective Serotonin-Reuptake Inhibitors and Risk of Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension of the Newborn. New England Journal of Medicine 2006;354(6):579-87.
- Chambers, C.D., Kavteladze, L., Joutchenko, L., Bakhireva, L, Jones, K.L. Alcohol Consumption Patterns Among Pregnant Women in the Moscow Region of the Russian Federation. Alcohol – An International Biomedical Journal 2006;38(3):133-7.
- Chambers, C.D., Chen B.H., Kalla, K., Jernigan L., Jones, K.L. Novel Risk Factor For Gastroschisis: Change in Paternity. American Journal of Medical Genetics 2006;143A:653-659.
- Chambers, C.D., Johnson, D.L., Robinson, L.K., Braddock, S.R., Xu, R., Lopez-Jimenez, J., Mirrasoul, N., Salas, E., Luo, Y.J., Jin, S., Jones, K.L., and the Organization of Teratology Information Specialist Collaborative Research Group. Birth Outcomes in Women Who Have Taken Leflunomide During Pregnancy. Arthritis & Rheumatism 2010;62(5):1493-1503.
- Chambers CD. Value of the small cohort study including a physical examination for minor structural defects in identifying new human teratogens. Congenit Anom (Kyoto) 2011;51(1):16-20.
- Feldman, H.S., Jones, K.L., Lindsay, S., Slymen, D., Klonoff-Cohen, H., Kao, K., Rao, S., Chambers, C. Prenatal Alcohol Exposure Patterns and Alcohol-Related Birth Defects and Growth Deficiences: A Prospective Study. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2012;36(4):670-6.
- Feldman, H.S., Jones, K.L., Lindsay, S., Slymen, D., Klonoff-Cohen, H., Kao, K., Rao, S., Chambers, C. Patterns of Prenatal Alcohol Exposure and Associated Non-Characteristic Minor Structural Malformations: A Prospective Study. Am J Med Genet Part A 2011;155A(12):2949-55.
- Chambers. C.D., Johnson, D., Xu, R., Luo, Y., Louik, C., Mitchell, A.A., Schatz, M., Jones, K.L. Risks and Safety of Pandemic H1N1 Influenza Vaccine in Pregnancy: Birth Defects, Spontaneous Abortion, Preterm Delivery, and Small for Gestational Age Infants. Vaccine 2013;31(44):5026-32.
UCSD Department of Pediatrics
Division of Dysmorphology and Teratology
UCSD Department of Family Medicine and Public Health
Divisions of Epidemiology and Global Health
UCSD Skaggs School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
San Diego State University
Graduate School of Public Health
Organization of Teratology Information Specialists
International Society for Pharmacoepidemiology
Research Society on Alcoholism
Neurobehavioral Teratology Society
Education & Certifications
California State University, Fullerton, B.A. Anthropology
San Diego State University, San Diego, MPH Epidemiology
University of California, San Diego and San Diego State University, PhD Public Health Epidemiology
Awards & Recognition
UCSD Epidemiology and Biostatistics Exchange Abstract and Presentation Award
F. Clarke Fraser New Investigator Award, Teratology Society
16th Annual Women Who Mean Business Awards, San Diego Business Journal
UCSD National Center of Leadership in Academic Medicine Mentor Honor in the Junior Faculty Development Program, Health Sciences, University of California, San Diego
Pregnancy and other perinatal outcomes associated with environmental factors, medications, vaccines, and alcohol, medications and breastfeeding, and neurodevelopmental outcomes.
In the Media
Section 'Sub' Navigation:
Page 'Breadcrumb' Navigation: